Story Teller and Collector/HSA Associate
“Very great change starts from very small conversations, held among people who care.”
– Margaret J. Wheatley
While working in Early Childhood Education, my goal was always to try to get to know the children and learn what matters to them. I was person-centered before I knew I was. Many years later, while working in developmental services, I was introduced to the work of Helen Sanderson and Michael Smull. I believe that we are more alike than different and just want to be seen for who we are.
I have had the opportunity to use my passion for person-centered approaches in my work in education, long term care, hospice, VAW sector and in my personal life, especially during a cancer journey.
What others like and admire about me
- I am approachable and honest
- I am dedicated to all people having choice and control
- I am compassionate and empathetic
- What you see is what you get, no pretense
- I am easy going and flexible
Whats important to me
- That the result of HSA contribution to organizations, delivering high quality, person-centred supports that help people to live the lives that they want.
- Being energized by hearing stories of the work that others are doing.
- Doing a job well! I have high expectations of myself with regard to my work.
- Working with positive, innovative people. I love the energy and creativity that comes from collaboration and find it an extremely effective way to work. I don’t do as well in isolation.
- Unnecessary negativity weighs me down. I don’t value office gossip and it’s a barrier to my creativity.
- That I am seen as a valued member of the team with
something to contribute.
- I am a life-long learner. I have many interests and would love to learn how to do everything! The internet is my friend and I LOVE technology.
How best to support me
- If you need something from me, please ask. I never mind reminders and I don’t want to be responsible for holding up your work.
- When things make sense to me, I can sometimes rush over information. Please tell me if I haven’t been clear.
- I am super passionate about the work I do. This means that sometimes my brain gets ahead of my mouth and I can stammer over words. Please understand that I really do know what I want to
say and I’ll get to it.
- I am a big picture person. Please share with me how what I’m doing contributes to the big picture.
- I intensely dislike making mistakes! I might ask a lot of questions in order to ensure that I understand exactly what you need of me. Please know that this is because I want to do it right the
first time and want to run it past someone before implementing.
- I struggle to admit when I need support. I will soldier on until I just can’t anymore. If I ask for help, know that I really need it.