Training in community development
We are all better able to thrive when we’re connected to others and able to contribute to our communities. Training in community development gives people the tools and approaches to learn how to facilitate sessions in which people can think about the steps to making this happen.
Community development sessions use guided conversations to think about the kind of outcomes a person wants to achieve, the links they might need to make for it to happen, and the assets available to them locally. They also focus on how a person might take steps to not only be present in a community, but to become a valued, contributing member of it, too. This training teaches people how to deliver engaging sessions that can support this to happen.
Who is this training for?
This training is suitable for people in a support role who want to learn techniques for community development. This includes people who work for an organization, as well as for people who would like to become independent facilitators. Additionally, families may be interested in learning about approaches to community development so they can be mindful of opportunities to use the techniques and thinking themselves.
How could this help you?
This training will help:
- to ensure you are offering personalized, community-based support, in-line with the HCBS guidelines
- to help others develop personal relationships that go beyond traditional services and paid support
- to help people you support to have more meaningful days
- to enable innovative ways for people to have more choice and control over the ways they live their life
organizations to demonstrate that they are actively supporting people to live their lives in ways that reflect what matter to them
- build a new skillset which you could use to perform at a higher level in your current role, to find a new role, or to
- become an independent facilitator
- communities be more inclusive and friendly to all
What could you learn?
You will learn:
- How to use person-centered tools and approaches to map out and understand communities
- How to use person-centered approaches to learn what really matters to people, and to connect that to actions
- Approaches to looking at the importance of relationships and creating a sense of belonging
- Looking at the role of culture and how to create multiple identity maps
- How to follow up and ensure lasting change
How can we deliver this training?
We offer a range of training and development options in community development, and we can tailor them to your needs. Community development training usually takes place over one or two days, and can be modified to suit the needs of individuals and organizations, or be part of a wider program of training and development. Just get in touch with Mary Beth to learn more.